Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Crayons!

For an upcoming post at Mosaic Moments I tried out a few ideas for incorporating one of the latest trends in crafts...melted crayons!

What better time of year to give this a go when the Back to School sales are on and crayons are going for $.50 a box? Or perhaps all the old crayons from years past are taking up space and you'd like to trim your collection. Either way, give it go!

The first attempt I made was to get splatters of crayons on my one inch tiles to resemble something I saw on Pinterest. It didn't go exactly the way I hoped for, but it was passable.




The second method was in shavings applied to the top of the tiles. Placed between wax paper layers and ironed to melt. I liked the results better with this method. Really old school, I know, but for what I wanted to accomplish to cover 1" tiles, it allowed the right amount of control.




The final method, I have to say, worked the best. I took four 1" tiles and placed them on a beverage hot plate. I held each color on the paper until it melted enough to be swirled around to create a larger circle. I repeated with the colors I wanted until the surface was covered.




A variation of this technique was to apply a number sticker to the center of each tile and then apply the crayon on the tile, covering as much as you want, and over the number. Then remove the sticker to reveal the white tile below.







Each sample may have worked in the layout for the theme presented but I chose the third method. This is how it looked for the layout. The colors are the back drop for the date tiles to pop off of and blend with the overall layout!



The experiments were all in preparation for the September Literary challenge, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. The post will be showing up on Mosaic Moments in our Tips and Techniques section, keep your eyes open!!

Meanwhile...here's a sneak peek!!



Thanks for stopping in...

andrea




No comments:

Post a Comment

Edifying Words...